Hiring the Right Home Contractor
Isnt it all just nails and wood?
I’ve never done this before! How do I select a contractor?
In order to make a sound choice, there are some key questions you should pose to potential contractors -- ideally at least three candidates so you can compare their responses -- to ensure you're getting a good match.
This is your home, after all; you want someone who's dependable and determined to see the project through to the end. When you are spending this amount of money, on what could be the largest investment you will make in your lifetime, you deserve to ask! If a contractor is uncomfortable with the following process, as you cultivate your big decision, well, that says allot right there!
So let’s ask the contractor a few questions, shall we!
- What's your business history?
- Is this person/company registered to carry out business in this locale?
- Do you carry workers compensation?
- Do you have membership with a reputable professional association?
- Under what other names do you carry out your business?
- How long have you been in business?
- What is your business address?
- Can the contractor provide references of similar project types?
- Specifically clients whose build presented some problems that were satisfactorily resolved?
- Ask to see a finished project for you to verify quality etc.
These few questions are a good starting point in "interviewing" your next contractor.